I moved to Atlanta for a new job at CDC, and just had to post this hilarious (I think unintentionally) description of what I apparently have signed on for, courtesy of one of the most prolific public health conspiracy theorists.
"At 1600 Clifton Road in Atlanta, Georgia, the mammoth brick towers of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention sprawl across clean manicured lawns. This is the Pentagon of government health - a $2 billion military prevention agency that monitors broken limbs and illness, and evangelizes on everything from malaria pills to gun control. Tucked into the midst of this labyrinth is the hub of a little known but extremely powerful network of health professionals. Think of its as the CIA of health care: the Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS), an elite, semi-secret unit, that is now almost fully secret. New graduates of medical schools, or biological graduate schools, or a few other things, are recruited upon graduation to take a several-week course, and then dispatched on two-year active assignment, paid by the CDC, to become the eyes and ears of the CDC -- an invisible intelligence network that watches for the tiniest clusters of disease, and, when the CDC deems appropriate, turns them into national emergencies.
-- Bryan Ellison
(I'm just waiting to learn the secret handshake. Rumor is that class is next week.)
No comments:
Post a Comment