Saturday, June 14, 2008

Yes, I live in the South.

That was made abundantly clear last weekend. I spent Saturday with friends out at Stone Mountain, east of Atlanta (NB: a very large granite boulder, really, for those living in the West with real mountains). It is also the self-proclaimed Mt. Rushmore of the South, with three "Confederate heroes" carved into one side (NB#2: that would be Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee, and Jefferson Davis for you yanks).

We spent the afternoon melting in 97 degree temperatures (plus humidity! HOTlanta!) having fun at their little theme park and also took the tram up to the top of the mountain. Here's an example of the view of surrounding (very flat) Georgia.


Then at night, we had a picnic and watched the laser light show they put on during the summer on the side of the mountain. Although the laser show looked very much like we had wandered into someone's late 70s acid trip, it was ultimately a celebration of all things Southern. The show was set to such songs as "Georgia on My Mind", "Sweet Home Alabama", "We love country and we like it loud", etc.

And, lest you were still unclear that you lived south of the Mason-Dixon line, it was capped off with a moving rendition of Dixie and the Battle Hymn of the Republic (Elvis, of course), during which laser outlines of our three confederate heroes charged again on their horses.

Yes, I live in the South. Ya'll are welcome to visit anytime!

3 comments:

Sara said...

I have mixed feelings about the Stone Mtn. laser show. Yes, it's cool, and yes, it's fun -- especially when it's a nice night and you're with a good group of friends. I find the Southern patriotic theme a bit . . . kitschy, though. I know Southern folks are proud of their heritage, but gosh darn it! I'm so grateful that they didn't win the war!

Oh, Georgia -- I love you and am frustrated with you all at the same time. :)

Brynn said...

But isn't the South glorious?!? The weather, the flowers, the beach, the regional pride? I love being back in the South after my five year sojourn in Boston. And down here no one wrongly praises the Battle of Gettysburg as this major turning point in the Civil War that ultimately led to victory, as happened in Fast and Testimony meeting in Boston. It was an unmitigated disaster that led to defeat, as I corrected the ward on our last Sunday in Boston :)

Carrie said...

Ha, Brynn, champion of the South! I have credited you with my knowing the appropriate usage of "ya'll" and "all ya'll". Now that we're both in the South, I'll have to come visit and you can properly sell me on the perfection of North Carolina.