Saturday, January 24, 2009

So it begins.

Public health and education are always the first up for cuts when budgets are tight. I, of course, disagree, but this has to be the most extreme response I have ever seen:
"Utah could become the only state in the country without a state health department.
Republican lawmakers are considering handing the duties of the health department -- from tracking and responding to communicable diseases and trying to reduce obesity and cancer rates to inspecting child care facilities -- to other agencies."
(Link from the Tribune)
I work in an agency that interfaces with every health department in the United States. It is well regarded that Utah has one of the best health departments in the country, so I was shocked to read that this morning.

There is a reason that the US and other 'developed' nations don't have the disease burden of many parts of the world, and much of that is because we have strong public health infrastructures.  If you are in Utah and you have a voice, I would urge you to use it. I recognize that times are rough, budgets are tight, and some cuts will have to happen, but trust me, this is a REALLY bad idea.

No comments: