Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Weird.

When I came home from work last night, I walked across the kitchen to turn on the light and found a random picture of some middle-aged man placed very neatly on top of one burner on my stove.  I didn't put it there, and I have no idea who the man is.  Cue creepy music.

(Somehow this being the picture made it all the more creepy... Hello sex-offender registry.)


In reality it was nothing. My landlord had been over looking at my fridge (which is toast, and currently my freezer is housing some very thawed, very raw meat... yuck!), and most things near it had been moved out of the way.  Given the date stamp on the back of the picture and the thick layer of dust, it was no doubt found behind the fridge.

(I did, however, subsequently check all possible hiding places in my apartment, just to reassure myself. I'm only recently to the point where I can use a bathroom if the shower curtain is closed. I'm a little bit of a pansy.)

I have been a bit skittish these days, though. There's been a stabbing, a couple muggings, and some apartment break-ins near where I work, and I'm reminded that in tough economic times, things are not likely to get safer.  Not to be a downer, just a reminder for everyone to be careful.


P.S. This was my car a while back. Broken into three weeks after I moved here, actually... my own personal welcome to Atlanta! Moral of this story? Be careful where you park in certain neighborhoods when you go out to eat.

Oh, and that it takes the Atlanta PD approximately 90 minutes to respond and take a 15 second statement, leaving you to sit and wait in a not-so-great neighborhood nearing midnight. Luckily I had friends waiting with me. I also have never eaten in that neighborhood since :)

1 comment:

Sara said...

I hear ya, Carrie. I've been really spooked on several occasions, lately. I even question going to 24-hour stores at 2 in the morning now, which is NOT like me at all. But I've heard of a lot of scary stories recently as well . . .

Maybe we should have some kind of personal safety enrichment night . . .