Saturday, August 22, 2009

Finished?

Once upon a time, my sister Emily and I embarked on the quest for the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe. We ate a lot of cookies that summer. And while there were some very good ones, I was never quite satisfied.

Last summer my (true) friend Brooke sent me this link. (Also, you should read the explanatory piece, under 'Related')

I (finally) just made them, and I think the quest may be over.



(On an unrelated-to-cookies note, I also made this recipe for the second time today. I highly recommend. It's been a good week.)


Finally, to borrow from Sara for the day... Thing I'm thankful for: That other people come up with really good recipes so I can eat yummy food. I'm not terribly creative, but I follow directions well.

6 comments:

Lisa Michelle said...

ok, so I have about a million things to say about this!! 1) Do you REALLY MEAN that you have found a choc chip cookie recipe that is BETTER than the one Marci and I fondly call "Carrie Cookies"????? I must try. And since I must, I have a few questions after looking at the recipe... Did you use the cake and bread flour? Also wondering about the sea salt on top of the cookies... did you do that, too? Also, did you use bittersweet chips? can't wait to try -- don't know how I'll ever wait 24 hours before baking them, though. :) Happy August to you!!

Carrie said...

I do think better. I mean, I'm still fond of the other version, but this just has a little extra something. Some adjustments... trying to use what I had on hand: I used all-purpose flour, although now I'm tempted to get the other kinds, just to see. I only had semi-sweet chips (but I also worried bittersweet might be a little much for me). And, according to the article, the 24 hour refrigeration is key, though I only had about 18. I'll try 24 next time. Also, I didn't make them as big as they say, because I was trying to make a bunch for a church function. But, I think the sea salt is a must. I'd never tried that little gem before, and I was pretty much sold. Let me know how they turn out for you! I'm planning to tinker again before long, but I need to make sure I have somewhere to take them :)

bh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bh said...

i'm glad my obsessive reading of the NY Times has enriched your life. and that we are true friends! but i wished i'd gotten to try the cookies... maybe next time

Sara said...

Oh, this is wonderful! I have never found quite the right chocolate chip cookie recipe. None of them taste the way I feel they should. I can't wait to try this! Maybe we can bake them together! :)

Also, Nikki introduces me to a lot of good articles via her obsessive reading of the Times. :)

individually wrapped slices said...

"I'm not terribly creative, but I follow directions well." - This is me all the way Carrie!