Friday, August 28, 2009

Summer reading.

Over the summer, Nicholas Kristof wrote one of his Sunday columns in the NY Times on "The Best Kids’ Books Ever".

In a follow-up piece three days later, Kristof responded to the then 2,350 comments at his online column:

"I’d never had a column achieve 1,000 comments, and that one has topped 2,350...

"What struck me is how passionate so many readers were about their choices. Clearly, they were profoundly shaped by these books, just as I was by my favorites. Some people in their 80’s talked about books they had read as children, speaking of them as their dearest friends. That’s the relationship that I had with books as a child, and yet I’m not sure that many kids these days have the same glorious relationship with books that we did. I hope I’m wrong, for great children’s books are truly magical."

That resonated with me when I read it. I was one of those kids. So why am I thinking about it again today? I heard on NPR this morning that, after 26 years on the air, Reading Rainbow comes to an end today. I was feeling a little nostalgic.

So, what were some of your childhood favorites?

1 comment:

bh said...

i love children's books! when i was really young, chicka chicka boom boom was my favorite. i still have most of it memorized. i was a big fan of series - narnia & a wrinkle in time are the best. also, i've read ever book ever written by roald dahl.