This is where I'm from. I haven't spent more than two weeks there at a time in over ten years, and I haven't even lived in Arizona for over eight years. Still, every time the pilot says we've begun our initial descent into the Phoenix area, and I look out the airplane window and start finding familiar landmarks, I always feel like I'm home.Some people say it's brown and ugly. I say, as deserts go, it's actually pretty green. And, I'll show you pretty. Come in April, though. I'm drawn to western things. Not "westerns" (a narrow and stereotypical view of the west, on which I could say a lot more), but writing, art, aesthetics that are western in setting or color or culture. They just feel like home to me.
Since I moved to Atlanta 2 1/2 years ago (which I agree, is green and can be very pretty), I've never quite felt attached to the place. I like it, certainly enough to buy a house and plan to live here for a good while. Even pretty early on in Boston, I felt like I belonged there, too, but I'd just never clicked here.
While I was in AZ for Christmas this year, though, I found myself missing things about Atlanta. Not just my own bed and my own routine, as per usual, but my house. My yard. My street. So, Georgia, we've still got a lot to learn about each other, but it's good to be home.
1 comment:
It took me a very long time to get to the point when I could say I loved Georgia -- maybe 6 or 7 years, even. But I love it now.
It's a state that has to grow on you, I think, but once it does, it does hard. :)
Post a Comment