
Every December since 1979, hundreds of thousands of Christmas lights go up on the grounds of the Mesa Temple. This year marked their 30th anniversary. While we were walking around the grounds on Christmas Eve, we realized that we, too, have been there 30 years in a row. Both siblings have missed some years while on missions, but since we moved to Arizona in January 1979, I have never not been at home, and thus at the Temple lights, on Christmas Eve.
At some point after our big Christmas Eve dinner every December 24th, we drive over and walk around the Temple grounds, then go home and read the Christmas story from the Bible. We children weren't always willing participants. Some years only the threat of not being able to open one present on Christmas Eve got us into the car, tears and all. Dad sometimes read, "And there were in the same country shepherds..." to three still scowling children. But, we always did it.
I'm not generally big on tradition for tradition's sake, and while these days it may be more habit than anything else, I find the ritual comforting. I think we'd all feel like something was missing without it. At some point things will change, and that will be fine, too. In the meantime, I'm glad the five of us Reeds checked off another traditional December 24.
No comments:
Post a Comment