Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sunny Saturdays in spring.

I spent a lovely Saturday morning this past weekend at Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta. I've been wanting to check this cemetery out for a while, and then I found out that there were free tours this weekend. (This picture is not my tour, it's from their website, but you get the idea.)

I mean, I like cemeteries. I've said that before. I have a soft spot in my heart for random historical sites and local curiosities. But even better? Tours of random historical sites and local curiosities. I love tour guides and their command of, in many cases, socially useless knowledge. I love that one really zealous tourmate, who's always there to ask the important questions. I leave happier than when I started. How can you not?

Better still? That I have friends who indulge my quirks.


"The best part about being a nerd within a community of nerds is the insularity – it’s cozy, familial, come as you are...

"Being a nerd, which is to say going too far and caring too much about a subject, is the best way to make friends I know. For me, the spark that turns an acquaintance into a friend has usually been kindled by some shared enthusiasm like detective novels or Ulysses S. Grant."

- Sarah Vowell, The Partly Cloudy Patriot

No comments: