I went backpacking this past weekend with some friends in the Great Smoky Mountains. You may recall my love of National Parks, so I was quite happy. Despite some rain, it was great fun.

(Yes, it really was fun! I promise! )
Because of the rain the mountains were beautiful and smoky. The views were lovely, the temperature was ideal, and it was lush and green (some sections do actually qualify as a rainforest).
And yet, I've been homesick for two days. The mountains were lovely (and yes, even mountains). But, they're not MY mountains. We've always given my mom a hard time over her obsession with Mount Olympus in Utah. She always called it her mountain. She grew up at the base of it. Her family has lived there for generations. These Smokies were Brooke and Mike and Clint's mountains. My mountains are far away and look a little browner. I may or may not have spent some time searching on Flickr today. Just because.
2 comments:
It was a fun weekend wasn't it? My mountains are the Tetons from the Idaho side which you can see out the window of my grandparent's house. Though the Smokies will do in a pinch.
Greedy greedy greedy. The homesickness gods are clearly punishing you for your lack of loyalty.
Post a Comment