Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A confession.

I love TV.

My parents are movie people. Oscar night was significant in our household growing up. They regularly go to the dollar theater, at least a couple times a month, and regularly give me the summary/review on the weekly phone call. They cover a wide variety of genres, and know a seemingly endless amount of movie and movie actor trivia. Not so much gossip, mind you, but trivia. This, no doubt, helps them with their daily NY Times crossword puzzle.

My siblings and I, however, are TV people. As a child, my brother could practically recite the TV listings -- there would occasionally be arguments over who got to read the TV Guide first on grocery shopping day. (Seriously.) My sister likened many important family events to "this is just like that time on Full House...".

Don't get me wrong, I really like movies, I even love some of them. I also get that movies (well, ahem, film) is probably the more classy thing to like. Oh well. There's just something about having a series of bite-sized 20 or 45 minute stories at intervals over an extended period of time that I find endearing.  Even when episodes can basically stand alone, I prefer watching them in order.

In truth, I don't think I really watch all that much TV these days. But, I do have a few shows that I keep up with, usually while fixing/eating dinner (thank the internet!).  And I didn't realize until they were back after the winter break how much I missed them.
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, dance like no one is watching. Enjoy these Satchel Paige brand tampons."
- As quoted by Liz Lemon on 30 Rock.
While I'm unlikely to join a jazz dance team for the local WBNA franchise, it makes me feel like 2012 is starting off well. Also, this:


And seriously, if this episode doesn't crack you up, you might not have a sense of humor:



That's all. I basically don't understand TV snobs.

(Disclaimer: I do also read books.)

1 comment:

bh said...

TV snobs are the worst. also, i'm glad your favorite shows are my favorite shows too.